Tuesday, 9 January 2018

P1 + M1 First Submission

I have interpreted the brief by looking at what the clients explicitly want and what they implicitly want. The film has to be set in East London and therefore I have decided to set my script around Victoria Park, the biggest park in East London. The brief states that I must base my script around an urban legend however it gives me the creative freedom to decide my plot line. After I interpreted the brief I did some research into East London urban legends and looked at stories about babysitting sessions going wrong and ghost stories. The blue-sky thinking session I did helped me to narrow down my ideas to three final ideas.

My first idea was to have something along the lines of stalkers or a mugging, where someone is walking home alone through the park at night and can feel someone watching them. Using paranoia and playing on the audiences minds against them to make them spooked. On one hand this idea was good because its a simple storyline which doesn't need a lot of explanation, which is good for a short film. Also the idea of a mugging in a park could fit easily into the genre of urban. However it would not create or promote a positive view of East London which is the point of the brief. As well as this, there is no room for character development and is a cliché idea. So the idea was abandoned.

My second idea was the idea of contrasting people in East London. For example a country girl moving to the city. This would be good as it would be easy to include a point or moral, and humour would flow naturally through the script. Ultimately, the idea fell through because the main location for my plot would take place in a school and that would not easily show the urban genre or the location of E3.

My final idea was to create a mockumentary where a group of teenagers go out in order to bust the myth of the 'Bogart'. This would make a good short urban film as a mythical creature does not show negativity about east London as the Bogart is obviously fiction. As well as this bogarts supposedly live in grassy spaces so I could set my film in Victoria Park. However the film being a mockumentary did not fit in the genre of an urban film so the initial idea changed slightly so it is now a film about a group of youngsters who are creating a documentary about the mythical Bogart living in Victoria Park, putting my film idea back into the urban genre.

I believe that my final idea is the best idea to fit the brief, as it can clearly be apart of the urban genre, as it is the story of an urban legend; as well as fit the location specified in the brief by being set in E3.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment